The Maddox Law Firm, LLC

5 Important Things to Remember About your Ticket for Underage Possession of Alcohol

'Tis the season. The weather is hot. The days are long and there's gotta be a party somewhere; just about every night. If you're not on the guest list, but heard about it through social media or a friend of a friend of someone who knows where the house is, you're there.

Actually, it's always the season and the police know it. So do the 911 dispatchers, your college of choice and your next internship.

If you're a high school student or college co-ed, or if you're the parent of either, here are

Five Things that You Need to Know about a Charge of Possession of Alcohol by a Minor:


Even though the first offense is an infraction, and you can plead by mail, , if you plead guilty, you will have a record. In other words, Connecticut DMV will make a publicly available record for at least two years that you've been convicted of Possession of Alcohol by a Minor. That's a very different world than a conviction for speeding or running a red light.


If you're on a public street or highway, and you're ticketed for Possession of Alcohol by a Minor and then plead guilty, your driver's license will be suspended for sixty days. If you're not on a public highway or street, but on public or private property, your license will be suspended for thirty days.


If you don't have a license yet and are charged with Possession of Alcohol by a Minor, you will have to wait 5 months before you can even apply for a driver's license.


Colleges, employers, (including internships), coaches and athletic departments do background checks. Academic, extracurricular and other things being equal between two teenagers, why pick the kid with a possession of alcohol conviction when you can pick one without any record at all?


If you're in a car or a house or anywhere else and even if you had nothing to do with buying, transporting or storing the beer, Vodka, rum or other alcohol that police find in your immediate vicinity, you can be charged with possession of alcohol by a minor.

We tell our people to sharpen their radars.

Frankly, we tell our people to put down the beer and exit wherever you may find yourself, underage, but in the company of liquor. If you have goals, objectives and commitments, it's not worth it. But, if you're the mother or father of a teenager or underage person who has been charged with Possession of Alcohol by a Minor, call the Maddox Law Firm, where we protect, advocate and defend the futures of young people and their families.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Discuss Your Legal Concerns With Our Team

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



New Canaan Office
125 Elm St.
New Canaan, CT 06840

Phone: 203-457-3131
Phone: 203-972-5861
Fax: 203-972-5886
New Canaan Law Office Map

Bridgeport Office
1000 Lafayette Blvd
Suite 1100
Bridgeport, CT 06604

Phone: 203-457-3131
Phone: 203-332-4777
Fax: 203-972-5886
Bridgeport Law Office Map

Norwalk Office
40 Richards Avenue
Suite 3
Norwalk, CT 06854

Phone: 203-457-3131
Phone: 203-831-9771
Fax: 203-972-5886
Norwalk Law Office Map

Stamford Office
112 Prospect Street
Suite 3
Stamford, CT 06901

Phone: 203-457-3131
Phone: 203-323-8777
Fax: 203-972-5886
Stamford Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.